EDUCATION FOR DEMOCRACY CONFERENCE
The Education for Democracy Conference brings together students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members to strengthen the movement for democracy in all of education, from kindergarten through higher education. As the attack on public education continues to escalate, with hundreds of schools closed, thousands of teachers laid off, scores of student and labor unions shut down, and higher education evermore inaccessible and unaccountable, the need is immediate for an effective national coordinated movement to overcome corporatization and to fight for the democratic alternative.
The 2013 Education for Democracy Conference will focus on this critical moment and work to develop actions for the coming year. It will also educate about the long term underlying problems in education today. And it will raise up examples of successful reforms and organizing at all levels of education. The conference will feature case studies, panel discussions, roundtable workshops, and skill-shares about:
- Understanding the corporatization and privatization of education
- Resistance to public school closings
- Student debt emancipation, tuition abolition, and full funding for public education
- Community participation and control in education
- Democratizing governance of education
- Academic freedom, the right to organize, and free speech in schools
- Building a movement for democracy in education in 2013-14
The Education for Democracy Organizing Committee is the principal convener of the Education for Democracy Conference. Contact Roshan Bliss at email@example.com for more info.